Saturday, May 31, 2008

Land of the Pure

I am here. In Pakistan. And I am still at a loss for words as to how to convey its intricacy to you. I feel as if if I have a very large responsibility upon my shoulders, as I am aware how many of you are eager to hear what I am experiencing. I may be the only voice for you all to hear besides those treacherous leeches we call the media. I am a bit attached to this place already, and I feel quite betrayed by what I have been seeing on all those news channels. Not because what they say isn't true--but because of the degrees to which they emphasize such incidents. But I will not complain of the media because that is a waste of time.

Pakistan is complex and wondrous and beautiful. I have felt such a span of emotion in these last few hours, that I am still not so sure what I think or what I feel exactly. But I am in awe of this place. Perhaps because it is so different than what I had ever expected and yet, so familiar. And in India, I did not feel so much a foreigner (because I am Indian!)--but here I am really feeling like an outsider (as much as I act that I am not!) I feel that this country is really living.
I am in a funny place--I don't often trust my initial impressions, yet I am comfortable with my naive sincerity.

I had some trouble with India immigration on the way here and was quite flustered and panicky as I was making my way. Luckily, I made a friend with a beautiful Ismaili woman on the flight who recognized me from khane the day before. Thank goodness for her! She really helped me make the journey. I was missing India terribly until we made landfall in Karachi, and then all of that was pushed aside. I began to immediately absorb all the beauty and hustle bustle and it really is something.

My uncle and aunt have been very loving and hospitable and I will be staying with them until I begin my internship Monday. We went to the seaside where hundreds of lower to middle-class families spend their time enjoying their Saturday afternoon. The beach was a carnival--with pani puri stands and children selling flowers on strings. There were camel rides and vendors selling roasted corn with chili and lime. There were monkeys on leashes, horses, cotton candy stands, and children playing in the water. Pakistan is like a dessert. Especially in the Sindh province where I am staying. The terrain is rocky and sandy! It is quite windy as well, so there are sandstorms and the dust gets everywhere! I am quite sure I am still covered in the grime, as I can feel it under my eyes and on my skin.

Alot of men and women have been staring at me. But I do not think it is anything rude or dirty. Rather, I feel that people are curious as to who I am and why I am here. I have really tried to blend in by wearing Salwaar Kameezes at all times but even then, my freshman excitement is quite noticeable.

I shall post some photos and let them do the talking.
Also, a note to everyone: Thank you all (Gabe, Ishita, Dan, Imrahn, Katy, Nyssa, Spoorthi, Robyn, Nitin, & Shruthi) for commenting. I know I have been dreadful at replying and keeping in touch. As soon as all gets settled, I will make sure to reply to you all. And to all the other readers, please know that I am flattered that you are viewing my thoughts and very grateful for your support. This is all for you!



No comments: