Monday, June 2, 2008

Aga Khan University Hospital

I arrived at AKUH yesterday evening to get settled into the women's hostel where I am staying for the duration of my elective program. The layout of the building is like a labryinth. I keep getting lost in the corridors which are numerous and form squares to surround central courtyards. The layout is so intricate because it was built so that the wind will flow through the passageways at a greater speed and force. Because Karachi is so hot and there is no A/C on campus, this is a blessing.

Looking at my last post, I feel very naive. But I was viewing Pakistan as a tourist and I was excited with the wonders of the city. Now that I am living in a hostel and "on my own" in Karachi, the difficulties are sprouting up, inevitably, as they were supposed to. The weather is sticky and sweltering and the power frequently goes out. I've been feeling like a freshman all over again because I am a little lonely. It is quite difficult to get to know the people here because alot of them have been students at the medical school for some time. The language barrier is also an issue. It is not like India where Hindi is half English and everyone speaks English anyway. Here, the more refined and pure Urdu is preferred to all else. This is good, as I am picking it up--but it will take some time. I am the only student here who is not currently in medical school, but I have been lucky to get some very kind advisors who are eager to help me learn the knowledge that I obviously lack.

All the people here are so beautiful--there is this exotic Islamic elegance which is quite distinct in the facial features. Think Jodhaa Akbar X 50. I think that the conditions here push people to be more intimately aware of their body (e.g. the heat, the bathrooms--which are very different, the social levels, the ubiquitous presence of faith, etc.) This is why women and men dress so conservatively (although I wish that the climate was more agreeable with the tradition.) Most women cover their heads and legs and I see that there is more gender differentiation (for example, the dorms are separated into male and female hostels.) I find that everyone here I have spoken to believes that their body houses a soul. So how do I convey people's souls? I have photography to convey physical beauty, but even then, I feel that perhaps it may be a bit too invasive for some.

To be honest, things have been a little challenging. Because I am away from family, I have been relying solely on the kindness of strangers. A young girl walked me to Jamatkhana last night, a teacher bought me dinner, another girl let me use her cell phone to contact my uncle (and all of them offered without me asking.) That is the goodness of this place. As soon as I overcome the cultural differences, perhaps I will be able to better convey what I am experiencing.

Until then,

Alia

5 comments:

Reddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reddy said...

hey Alia,
how are you? i hope you are adjusting fine.......you are so brave man! Keep it up! and I love the way you take on challenges.....waiting for your pictures and your stories.......i have decided to keep a regular blog when i go to qatar :)......have u adjusted? hows urdu going so far.....till then....salaam alaikum meri jaan! :)

Alia Poonawala said...

Sruthi! Meri jaan. Wa alaikum salaam! Aap kaisi hon? Sub tik hain? Karachi zyaada garmi hain!
Chalo,
Alia

p.s. I will post pictures as soon as I get an internet connection from my own laptop which is where all the photos are!

p.p.s how's california? hella good? does everyone say hella? thats what i heard!

Reddy said...

Hi Alia Jaan!
lol everyone says hella here! gosh i though it was just my friend :) California is hot too but maybe not as hot as Karachi.....I want to see you wearing salwar kameez....waah waah..good hindi! sa khariat se hai?
Khuda Hafiz!
Sruthi

Unknown said...

To my dearest courageous Alia

It is so exciting to read your experience. I know it must be hard, but it will be worth it. You are actually in a new world all together..Way to go baby!! ;)
Enjoy yourself and learn lots of new things..
I'll keep myself updated about your experiences through this blog..It is fun reading this..
Take care
Love
Priyamvada